Friday, July 23, 2010

Creative Outlets

Creativity is so important to me, it almost seems like the breath of life, the vital spark that my heart needs.

My dad is insanely creative when it comes to engineering things, making things work, or work more efficiently. He respects creative outlets such as music, seeing as how he LOVES going to sister's Philharmonic concerts, and he respects creativity in words too, which I didn't realize until he joined me at Galileo's in OKC for an Open Mic Poetry night... what a WONDERFUL realization.

My mom has always been super creative, in all aspects of the word! She's a great artist; she used to paint all the time when we were kids. She LOVES music, and always had records or tapes on in the house when I was growing up. She's super crafty too, when it comes to making shirts, or creating unique jewelry, etc. So it's no wonder I have this huge need for creative outlets in my life.

So what are they? ...

WRITING: I absolutely love writing. My problem is I cannot commit to one form of writing. I'm always reading something, trying to learn more about style, syntax, trying to expand my vocabulary as much as I possibly can. I recently started writing my book, FINALLY, but I need to commit more time to it, and get serious about it, if I'm ever going to get through it. But at the same time, I love poetry, in all forms. Writing it is therapeutic for me, its healing. And I love getting to edit works from my sweet friend Bryan, getting to rip it all apart and throw in my two cents.

MUSIC: Music has been a life source for me. Worship sets are almost always my favorite part of a church service. Music takes me to a place that nothing else can touch. It gets me through my workouts, and distracts my mind from feeling like my body is going to fall apart, when it really isn't! It helps me get to sleep when I'm upset or frustrated, and I love waking up to a radio alarm clock; it's a good way to start the day. I love participating in music groups through percussion, and I even miss teaching drumline and private lessons to kids. Music is cohesive. It's the sticky stuff that keeps all the differences inside me together.

KNITTING: I haven't done it in a while, and I'm self-taught, so I'm still pretty bad, but there is something therapeutic about doing the exact same movements with your hands over and over and over and over, until you have created something!

COLORING: Yes I realize I'm 26 years old, but I seriously think some people never grow out of coloring books and crayons. They are a perfect road trip companion, if you can keep your crayons from melting in the car! I'm NOT an artist, I can't draw, or paint, or sculpt, etc... but I color well. =) My dad used to come in from work, and if he saw me coloring, he knew that meant I had a rough day. hahaha... I still do that.

COOKING: I LOVE the idea of creating in the kitchen. I've always loved cooking and baking and making things for people. In college, the guys on the drumline seemed to appreciate this quality in me, seeing as how they were often the beneficiaries of it! I SO want to be that Mom that makes dinner most nights, and makes breakfast most mornings. I want to create new, unique dishes and feed people!!! I love the idea of dinner parties, and hosting friends at my house. I'm looking forward to exploring that more in the future.

PHOTOGRAPHY: I'm no photographer, I haven't even tried, but I LOVE looking at good photography. Ally Mauro being my personal favorite. I love artistic photos, of anything if it's shot well. Anytime I'm in an Art Museum, I'm always drawn to the photography section. Black and whites have a place in my heart.

WHEW!! So I have plenty of creative outlets... I just need to exercise them all more often. When the creativity is flowing, life is so much better for me. I've always found that to be an attractive quality in other people as well... I love it when people do creative things for me. My favorite gifts I've ever received cost very little for the people to make, but they meant the world to me. When I was 750 miles from home, my friends at church took silly pictures of themselves, and wrote down their favorite quotes. The amazing Abby Zeliff Meadows put the pictures out, but the quotes around them, and made them into MAGNETS. I saw my sweet friends everyday on my refridgerator, acting silly. It helped so much. Another gift I received was from Ally Mauro... she spent probably just a few dollars on a little blue notebook, and then filled every single page with some of her favorite quotations. She and I are WORD lovers, and she knew how much it would mean to me.

Okay, so my plan for my Friday evening: Go to the gym with my music and magazine, start a new knitting project, and read more of the book I started last week. I also might throw together some ideas for dinner plans for next week. It's about time I get creative in the kitchen again, and feed the people I love. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment